Skip to content | Saturday, 24-Jun-2017 | Text Only View | Site Map | Text size: A A A

NottinghamSR Homesearch

Who Can Use the Service?

To use Homesearch, you must:

  1. be eligible for social housing. These rules are set by the national government.
  2. qualify for the housing register in the borough you want to apply to. These rules are set by the local council.


Most UK nationals are eligible to apply for social housing. However, you may not be eligible if:

  • You are under 16 years old
  • You do not live in the UK, Republic of Ireland, Channel Islands or the Isle of Man
  • You are only allowed to stay in the country under certain conditions, such as immigration rules

You may also be eligible for social housing if you have indefinite leave to remain in the UK, or if you are a worker from an EEA state, or if you are a refugee. Asylum seekers are not eligible for social housing and should contact the UK Border Agency for support.

Although people aged 16 and 17 can apply to be on the register, they will usually only be considered for housing after they are 18, because under 18s cannot normally hold a tenancy in their own right. There are certain exceptions to this, for example, if they have been in local authority care, or the law says that they are homeless. Your local council can give you advice on this.


Each local authority has their own policy on who will qualify to join their housing register.

People who have a history of criminal or anti-social behaviour may be prevented from joining the register in any of the three boroughs, at the council's discretion.

Broxtowe Borough Council operate an open housing register. Anyone who is eligible may apply to join the register.

Gedling and Rushcliffe borough councils will only accept applications from people who have a need to move and a local connection to that borough. They will also accept applicants who are aged 50 or over, or who are disabled, who have no children. However, these applicants will only be able to bid for sheltered housing properties. (Applicants who meet these criteria but also have a houing need and a local connection are not restricted to sheltered properties.)

For further details, including the definition of housing need and local connection, please see the information pages for Gedling and Rushcliffe.

Site powered by Abritas  |  Cookie policy
Click here to download the browsealoud software