Independent Living offers comfortable and affordable housing, which provides support and saftey, while still allowing you to maintain your privacy and independence
Independent Living offers residents:
- Personalised Independent Plans (I-Plans) which will enable Independent Living Co-ordinators to support you in maintaining your independence
- Communal facilities, such as a lounge, laundry room and hairdressing room, in most schemes
- Regular activities brought to you by two specialist Activities Co-ordinators
- A Lifeline calling system linked to a 24 hour response centre, managed by a Lifeline Co-ordinator and staffed by trained operators who are available seven days a week
- Convenient locations throughout the borough, which are close to social, transport and shopping facilities. Further details of schemes and their locations can be found on the Schemes in the Borough page
Independent living is all about helping residents to maintain their independence, we are not able to help with;
- Providing personal care, for example washing and dressing
- Regularly preparing meals
- Collecting shopping or prescriptions
- Handling your personal finances
- providing health care and giving you medicines
What are Independent Living properties like?
Most Retirement Living properties are purpose built flats. There two types of properties classified as 'A-Schemes' and 'B-Schemes'
- A-Schemes - The majority of these schemes are 'corridor' schemes where your front door will open onto a secure corridor, which is linked to communal facilities. These schemes are ideal for residents who are looking for extra security and a more active social life
- B-Schemes - These schemes are a mixture of flats and bungalows where your front door will open directly to the outside. Some of these properties have their own garden. These schemes are ideal for residents who want that little bit more independence.
- No fees and no deposit required
- All A-Schemes have secure door entry systems
Most B-Schemes are linked to the A-Schemes so that residents can enjoy the community facilities and activities that are on offer.
Applying for Independent Living
To apply for Independent accommodation you will need to register and make an application online
In many cases Social Housing landlords have more Retirement Living accommodation than they have demand for it, simply because we are all getting older a little later now! However, what this means is that there may be accommodation available that will suit your needs. You should therefore contact your Local Authority to discuss the options available for you.
For residents in Gedling, please contact Gedling Homes at http://www.gedlinghomes.co.uk/older-peoples-housing/sheltered-housing
For residents in Broxtowe, please contact Broxtowe Borough Council at https://www.broxtowe.gov.uk/for-you/housing/living-independently/independent-living/